Saturday, January 29, 2011

Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, and You Better Graduate

 Ever since I was little, my Dad has had great cameras.  He taught me how to develop film by making a dark room in our bathroom and he taught me what aperture meant.  I steal his camera, a Nikon D80, every chance I am home.  There is nothing wrong with a point and shoot, and thus far, my Canon has captured my life in Italy and successfully recorded Austin saying embarrassing lines from South Park.  But it was time. It was time to invest, or shall I say it was time to conjoin every holiday within the next year to get an incredible gift, my very own Nikon.
I proposed that this camera be my only Christmas present and to forgoe a raging 21st birthday party, and eventually when lenses got involved, it became a part of my graduation present. In my opinion, totally worth it. 
I chose the Nikon D90. And it is my child right now. It makes me want to learn about the art of photography and it makes me want to capture the small details in life.
 To be honest, my life is crazy right now.  Full time school, working at Con Pane (a bread bakery and café), volunteering at my church, training for a half marathon, and interning/volunteering with Alliance for African Assistance as a family mentor.  But I am happy. The happiest and most fulfilled I have ever been.  I may not be doing crazy new things all the time, but I hope to at least update ya’ll with pictures on this blog, as I am not on Facebook for the time being and it has been the greatest thing I could have done for myself.  These are some of my favorite shots from the last couple weeks…. Enjoy!










4 comments:

  1. Hello! Or should I say Good Morning! I woke up this morning, and as usual I checked to see if you had updated your blog. haha and you had!!!! I love this story about the camera because that thing is truly your first born child! It has captured some stunning moments!! My favorite is the picture with the sea shells and sand dollar, which just so you know, is now my wallpaper! haha love you so much!! Can't wait to catch up with you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! And I remember that dark room... lol. Can't wait to see all the great pictures that are to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is cool, you write so well! (as usual). I especially like the line, "I am the happiest and most fulfilled..."
    I love the shots at the beach, and glad I was with you to see it in person with you, my buttons are now famous! I like the "shadow" picture too, it tells a story.
    next sunday, 1/2 marathon, what a great day it will be for you, can't wait for you, sarah, greg and popsidoodle to get that medal! You have worked very hard for it and it will be an amazing day!
    you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky, Your great-grandmother, my mother Celia, also had a photography darkroom that she built in our basement in Ohio back in the late 1940's. Then, of course, your dad built one in our garage during his teenage years. Enjoy your new camera...and happy adventures.

    ReplyDelete