Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sorry Dad, but Spontaneity is the name of the game








This weekend has been full of surprises. My plan was to buy an old pair of rollerblades and ride down mission beach, but my friends had other plans for me. Austin and Amanda are two of my very best friends from high school and I give myself credit for matching them up. They came to San Diego so that we could spend some time together before they head off to their new schools: UCR and UCLA. We had planned to go to the Padres game that night, but they were insistent on helping me conquer something on my bucket list. Amanda suggested’ “why not go to UCSD and check it out!” Though, to be honest, I wasn’t in the mood to tour a college after being in school for a week, I decided to seize the day. We walked around the gorgeous campus and I felt like I was really in college, not that I’m not, but the campus is so big and looks like it should be in a movie. We took lots of pictures and compared the bookstore to Point Loma’s. Lets just say UCSD wins that competition. We spent the evening at the Padres game with Courtney and Shea, Padres lost, but since we were in the cheapy section, we got to see two people get arrested.

I had always planned to see both UCSD, and USD at the same time. I wasn’t expecting to see USD the way that I did though… David and I became friends when I realized it was going to be a long semester in Human Biology if I didn’t get some help. David and Andrew were the engineering majors in the class, and we became friends instantly. I made them laugh, and they helped me with strange biological concepts, like Mitosis. David and I decided we needed to catch up, so, he came to my apartment… in a MOTORCYCLE. I was so excited and he was so excited that I was enthusiastic about it. Though going on a motorcycle ride isn’t on my posted list, not getting on a Vespa in Italy is one of my biggest regrets, so this was my chance. He offered to take me on my first ride, hesitant because I know how my Dad feels about motorcycles and not wanting to disappoint him, I was torn, but after a short deliberation in my head, I agreed… I’m in college right? Carpe diem!

Riding on the motorcycle was one of the most liberating things I have ever done, and I found myself giggling through most of it, even though my leg would sometimes start to shake a little because I was scared. Pot holes, speed bumps, stop signs, turns on the freeway: these all become much more apparent when you aren’t in a car. We drove around and came up to USD, I told him that was on my bucket list too, so he turned right heading toward the campus. Instantly I was borderline obsessed with the campus. It looks like something out of Europe, and has an unbelievable view of San Diego City. We headed back home and I never realized how many neck and back muscles are involved in motorcycle riding, I was so sore! Even though I didn’t have a skull bandana or a leather jacket, I still felt pretty hard core and had a successful weekend checking 3 things off my bucket list…

2 comments:

  1. love it. if it helps, my dad would be rooting you on. :) Glad you are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BECKY!!!! that sounds like such a great weekend! and dang.. motorcycle!! :) haa talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete