Sunday, May 22, 2011

Feet



My feet are blessed.   Hear me out because I am stuck on this idea.  I keep thinking about the last time I was in an airport, I was conquering a task for my bucket list by simply people watching. So then I questioned, when was the last time I stepped foot on an airplane? Ah yes, Italy… A country of elegance, prestigious fabrics, rich food, and classical art. My feet touched cobblestone the last time I stepped foot on foreign land. 
Since then my feet have been blessed to walk across a college campus situated right above the ocean, to stand beside my sister on her wedding day, run a half marathon, and learn to swing dance. 
My feet are about to entire foreign territory yet again. Instead this time it will not be cobblestone.  In three weeks I will step off American soil and into African desert.  I will step out of freedom and security and into poverty and a culture fighting the aftermath of a civil war.  My feet are blessed.  They are blessed to see the world, not for what I hope or think it is, but for what it really is. 
In my bible study, we talked about what God had been teaching us in the last year.   God revealed to me a new view of the concept of washing one another’s feet.  By having someone wash my feet, I am vulnerable and by washing theirs I am selfless. It was beautiful to both receive and to give during that experience.  Having my feet washed was an analogy for letting down insecurities and allowing people to care for me even in my weakest trials.  It is my turn to wash.  I believe I am equipped for the next two months.  I am ready to learn how to be more and more selfless everyday, by washing feet.  No, I will not literally wash their feet everyday, but I hope to share a love for them that allows them to let down insecurities and create a safe environment to go through the good and the bad, not alone, but together. My feet have been blessed, its time for me to return the favor.
 Thank you to everyone who prayed, encouraged, and/or financially supported me the last 7 weeks, I am shocked by God’s power and love and my gratitude to you all is endless.    

2 comments:

  1. You are an incredible writer Becks!! So proud of you.. praying for this trip BIG time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. while you are on the plane, traveling so far away....look at your hands. Your hands will provide a hug to some woman you will meet, a child who needs help a friend who is traveling with you. Your hands will carry your luggage, carry supplies, carry tools and equipment to teach with. Your hands will bless the people you will encounter, your hands will show love. They may get scraped, dry and wrinkled in the sun, but your hands will be a tool for Christ.
    But first,,,,your feet will get you there. Love the story, love your writing, love the wisdom.
    Love you my little darling.

    ReplyDelete