Friday, May 13, 2011

SHOCKED

Tomorrow my junior year will be over and God has done unimaginable things to shape me into a woman of Christ.  It has been hard work to say the least, but there is no greater victory than enduring the race. 
            Gods promise is true and I have beautiful friends and family.  To be honest, I was expecting a maximum of $300 for the garage sale… boy was I in for a surprise.  I walked into my house on Friday, to see my friend Jill, her husband Mike, my sister and Greg, separating a house full of garage sale items.  There were bags upon bags of clothes, a huge desk, baseball bats, rollerblades, cups, plates, towels, a mattress, chairs, and even a Jefferson statue.  My living room, family room, and side yard was full.  Family, friends, and friends of friends had brought stuff over to my parents’ house in hopes that there would be plenty of shoppers.
            By 6am on Saturday morning, my Dad was up making omelets for all the helpers and the garage sale crew was busy putting up signs and dragging everything out the driveway.   We laughed a lot and even found some treasures for ourselves.  I was able to have awesome conversations with my mom and tell neighbors about what I will be doing in Uganda.  By 2pm my sister gave the final total…. $780.00. I was shocked. God had called me to this, but seeing his promise be fulfilled is overwhelming because to be honest 6 weeks ago, I was scared. 
            My shots are done and my prescription for malaria is ready to go.  I am about a month away from stepping on a plane and into a different culture.  I am so open to serve the people in Uganda and to the lessons that God has to teach me through this internship. 
            I will be teaching money management and computer training to the staff.  I will also be helping take sponsorship photos and helping the kids write letters to the people that support them. 






            Please be praying for my team, as many of them are still anxiously waiting for envelopes to arrive in the mailbox.  I am very close to my goal and I cant thank you all enough for believing in my ability to show love to the people in Africa, it is unbelievably humbling.  

1 comment: